Skip to main content

2015 March 15 #1 and 2 Temari

2015 March 15  Beginning Kiku Herringbone Temari Parts 1 and 2

Beautiful Temari, challenge to me during the spring coldness.   I have really begun to enjoy this beautiful art form.  I hope to grow from here.

2017 April 30, and now I write about the fun I had with this project.
#1 is approx 23 cm and was wrapped around a medium sized styrofoam ball, then covered round and round with more knitting worsted thread. Bringing me to the place of decorating in a beautiful Mint Green and Baby pink for my two C8 colour choices.  I finished this smaller Mari in the allotted time to start on #2 with the group.........

Now I can finish the story of Temari #2 using a C16 bright red crochet cotton was used to complete the guideline pattern.  I wrapped this styrofoam ball (large size) starting finishing at 33cm.  My material choice with this mari was to wrap round and round, layer upon layer using a fancy knitting type of wool.  It has little squares of colour as part of the wool type.  The squares were olive green, maulve, pale pink.

To this I chose several thread rounds starting the 2layera of white with rainbow metallic thread wrapped around the white crochet cotton causing a soft rainbow effect.
Next came 2 layers of cream
Next 2 layers of pale, pale yellow
Next 2 layers of mint green
Finally a really dark 2 layers in green

New trick on this Mari was to use the final outline of each two petal patterns as completed the coded colours with red to bring back full circle the guideline colour

Because my equator guideline was not completely equal between the North and South sides, I decided to leave the equator without further wrapping.


No wait!....I forget......go ahead now to April 30 2017 and look at the Temari ball again.....what is this, the SOUTH POLE has not been completed.....you can't tell from that photo below,,,,,,but it is time to get this finished and call it a day.

I will repeat the same layers of colour choices for the two rounds of petals.......
Actually as of April 29, I am almost finished except for a couple petals needing the red final layer and then sewing in the ends.

Yes, I am definately in love with making Temari.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8/2017. A learning curve mastered

May 8/2017 A LEARNING CURVE MASTERED I have been practicing making the base temari balls over the past week or so.  Lots of mileage was put on the car during recent trips to Niagara Falls and back.  So instead of watching the scenery flash past, I decided to keep my hands busy wrapping various sizes of Maris. When I really got down to brass tacks and wrapped the threads over and over, round and round the ball, several times it flew from my hands and went down on the car floor.  Of course this necessitated a ground search of the carpet moving all my various bins and bags around my knees....did I mention the grunts and groans that accompanied this search? On our last trip to Niagara Falls we had to enter into the hospital for a visitation.  Influenza was happening in the emergency ward, so it time for was wearing masks, gowns and gloves.  Finally we were able to remove all garments and while doing so, I tucked my gloves into my pocket.  Smart move on my part as I found out later.

May 21, 2017 Temari on my own

May 21/2017 Temari on my own Lou has been unwell, and I have been doing quiet crafts. Led me to find this black mari and see what I could do on my own. Well, not quite true. The first photo is one I was trying to copy. The instructions were written but I could not really understand them. Sad as it is, I am learning that time is required for doing Temari. Time and knowledge. I thought this Temari to look rather spiritual, or somewhat like a Celtic Piece.  I love the simplistic look.  I am unsure where I found these instructions, but it is called only Temari Pattern 76. This is noted as an easy beginner.......well, maybe a different beginner, but not me.  Anyway, here is my attempt. I think it is part instructions from the printed page, and then striking out on my own using a bit of the Kiku Herringbone beginner lesson and part of my own idea. This was part 1 North Pole: If you look closely, you will see that the variegated mauve and black Temari stitch

My found treasure for displaying my Temari work Aug 23, 2017

 My Found Treasure     So here I am with an update on my developing Temari work.  Very discouraged indeed,,, and why you ask?  It is the learning curve that has me floating around in mid-air with no place to plant my feet. Will I let this stop me? Not in a million years, however, I think I will stop, learn and proceed a bit slower. One thing I have been thinking about though is a lovely display tray.  I have looked, drooled, dreamed and waited.  Lou and I spied a beautiful hand blown tray that was made from glass and it just sparkled with an almost golden dust.  Think of the colours pink bands with pink dust fading into bands of golden dust sparkles.  I think you get the picture.  When I saw the price tag ($115) on this beauty, I just let the dream go "poof" in my mind.  I decided then and there I did not want the holder to outshine my Temari work, which it would,  or IF, at this time my Temari did not cover over all this lovely glass it would eventually....so scratch t