Skip to main content

2017 Sept 10 ..... Temari #7 Interlocking Spindles

Temari #7 Interlocking Spindles

Here it is the end of September and I have not attempted, even remotely, to work on any Temari. I have found myself in a sticky situation......I could not understand or figure out the latest Temari being worked on in our Temari Beginner's group.  I, therefore, went on a search to purchase two handbooks.  That in itself is a different story so I will pass on that pleasure (sarcastic lip curl needed here) and carry on with my story.

One of the group members has offered me the purchase of a duplicate book she had for her students.  I took her offer quickly.  Now I am going to work using Barb Suess book titled “Japanese Temari”.  In the first few pages, I found one answer to my problem.  I am left-handed, and it appears we have our own style to work stitches......yes, backward to everyone.

With this book in hand complete with directions and diagrams, I started to work on my seventh piece of artwork.  This one is titled TWIN DARTS.  Looking closely at the pattern one can see why.

For this Temari, I decided to work the same pattern on each side of the ball, yet make them different.  I used Red Heart “Sizzle” thread on the ‘south’ pole because I am thinking summer fun.  Think here, bright neon green and hot pink.
The ‘north’ is going to represent the colder colours.  Thanks to my friend Kalia in Richmond, Virginia, USA for gifting me with variegated burgundy to pale pinks.  Part two of the “spindle” pattern is deep green to darker turquoise in colour.
To make this Temari my own after following Barb’s layout I decided to embellish the summer section with pink and green beads.  While the winter side has feather stitch vines holding lazy daisy leaves.....well fall does have advantages in colour treatment.

The Obi is a combination of two or three rows using the wraps of individual colours surrounding an equator of black and gold same as the guidelines.

This was a refreshing dip back into the world of my Temari.

 Submitted by Denise Collins Oct 10, 2017

Comments

  1. Your temari is lovely. My favorite side is the winter side. Love the colors and the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

May 8/2017. A learning curve mastered

May 8/2017 A LEARNING CURVE MASTERED I have been practicing making the base temari balls over the past week or so.  Lots of mileage was put on the car during recent trips to Niagara Falls and back.  So instead of watching the scenery flash past, I decided to keep my hands busy wrapping various sizes of Maris. When I really got down to brass tacks and wrapped the threads over and over, round and round the ball, several times it flew from my hands and went down on the car floor.  Of course this necessitated a ground search of the carpet moving all my various bins and bags around my knees....did I mention the grunts and groans that accompanied this search? On our last trip to Niagara Falls we had to enter into the hospital for a visitation.  Influenza was happening in the emergency ward, so it time for was wearing masks, gowns and gloves.  Finally we were able to remove all garments and while doing so, I tucked my gloves into my pocket.  Smart move on my part as I found out later.

May 21, 2017 Temari on my own

May 21/2017 Temari on my own Lou has been unwell, and I have been doing quiet crafts. Led me to find this black mari and see what I could do on my own. Well, not quite true. The first photo is one I was trying to copy. The instructions were written but I could not really understand them. Sad as it is, I am learning that time is required for doing Temari. Time and knowledge. I thought this Temari to look rather spiritual, or somewhat like a Celtic Piece.  I love the simplistic look.  I am unsure where I found these instructions, but it is called only Temari Pattern 76. This is noted as an easy beginner.......well, maybe a different beginner, but not me.  Anyway, here is my attempt. I think it is part instructions from the printed page, and then striking out on my own using a bit of the Kiku Herringbone beginner lesson and part of my own idea. This was part 1 North Pole: If you look closely, you will see that the variegated mauve and black Temari stitch

My found treasure for displaying my Temari work Aug 23, 2017

 My Found Treasure     So here I am with an update on my developing Temari work.  Very discouraged indeed,,, and why you ask?  It is the learning curve that has me floating around in mid-air with no place to plant my feet. Will I let this stop me? Not in a million years, however, I think I will stop, learn and proceed a bit slower. One thing I have been thinking about though is a lovely display tray.  I have looked, drooled, dreamed and waited.  Lou and I spied a beautiful hand blown tray that was made from glass and it just sparkled with an almost golden dust.  Think of the colours pink bands with pink dust fading into bands of golden dust sparkles.  I think you get the picture.  When I saw the price tag ($115) on this beauty, I just let the dream go "poof" in my mind.  I decided then and there I did not want the holder to outshine my Temari work, which it would,  or IF, at this time my Temari did not cover over all this lovely glass it would eventually....so scratch t