Skip to main content

History to date......April 11, 2017

Here I am at the time I made my first attempt making the Temari.  Approximate 2006 when recovering from surgery.  Bed rest, stay quiet but do not veggie away.......A very special friend Shari from Saskatchewan sent me a book on Japanese Artwork.  Inside this book, I found 2 Temari patterns, so out came the supplies and my love for Temari work began.


Above and beside you will see the pictures of my 1st two pieces.  Oh boy, I was so proud of them both.....but now looking at them, pride still stands but so does the knowledge that I have so much to learn.
  Of course, these are not quite the same as the tutorial in the book....they have some serious issues.....which I am not going to define....but how precious they are to me. From this start, I am going to learn how to improve my techniques.  Thanks to Barb Suss and the Group.
In winter 2015 I joined an online group....Temari Challenge....and began in seriousness to jump in with both feet and join a group effort of Beginning KIKU HERRINGBONE Temari Part 1 and 2.  Part 1 was the easiest of both, thank goodness.  We learned how to measure the size of the ball (23cm) before the guideline was applied, how to mark the distance between North and South Poles, and then around theEquator, into as close as possible equal distances,  No easy task....but not deterring me. Guidelines placed using sparkling purple crochet cotton.....lovely choices for a beginner.
  Finally to the fun part after several times moving the pins around to get the measurement set up correctly. After this part the actual stitching directions have been read and finished......looks good black background with light green and turquoise stitching.  Now to complete the south side of my globe......then away we go......to Part 2.  BEGINNING KIKU HERRINGBONE PART 2 (size 32-33cm).  The larger one of the two in the photo.
  Wrapped this with a fancy wool I used in embellishing.....spots of red. olive. white and mauve, quite colourful and lively.  Guidelines in a bright red.  thread colours are blends of .....This Temari must have tired me right out because I put it away after the North Pole part was finished. The bottom section waited until April 2017. I have almost finished.  And ready to work further with the Group for our next challenge.   Follow my ongoing journey as I move forward. This is April 11, 2017, and I pick up the craft again.

Date: April 11, 2017                              History to date 2005-6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8/2017. A learning curve mastered

May 8/2017 A LEARNING CURVE MASTERED I have been practicing making the base temari balls over the past week or so.  Lots of mileage was put on the car during recent trips to Niagara Falls and back.  So instead of watching the scenery flash past, I decided to keep my hands busy wrapping various sizes of Maris. When I really got down to brass tacks and wrapped the threads over and over, round and round the ball, several times it flew from my hands and went down on the car floor.  Of course this necessitated a ground search of the carpet moving all my various bins and bags around my knees....did I mention the grunts and groans that accompanied this search? On our last trip to Niagara Falls we had to enter into the hospital for a visitation.  Influenza was happening in the emergency ward, so it time for was wearing masks, gowns and gloves.  Finally we were able to remove all garments and while doing so, I tucked my gloves into my pocket.  Smart move on my part as I found out later.

May 21, 2017 Temari on my own

May 21/2017 Temari on my own Lou has been unwell, and I have been doing quiet crafts. Led me to find this black mari and see what I could do on my own. Well, not quite true. The first photo is one I was trying to copy. The instructions were written but I could not really understand them. Sad as it is, I am learning that time is required for doing Temari. Time and knowledge. I thought this Temari to look rather spiritual, or somewhat like a Celtic Piece.  I love the simplistic look.  I am unsure where I found these instructions, but it is called only Temari Pattern 76. This is noted as an easy beginner.......well, maybe a different beginner, but not me.  Anyway, here is my attempt. I think it is part instructions from the printed page, and then striking out on my own using a bit of the Kiku Herringbone beginner lesson and part of my own idea. This was part 1 North Pole: If you look closely, you will see that the variegated mauve and black Temari stitch

2017 Sept 10 ..... Temari #7 Interlocking Spindles

Temari #7 Interlocking Spindles Here it is the end of September and I have not attempted, even remotely, to work on any Temari. I have found myself in a sticky situation......I could not understand or figure out the latest Temari being worked on in our Temari Beginner's group.  I, therefore, went on a search to purchase two handbooks.  That in itself is a different story so I will pass on that pleasure (sarcastic lip curl needed here) and carry on with my story. One of the group members has offered me the purchase of a duplicate book she had for her students.  I took her offer quickly.  Now I am going to work using Barb Suess book titled “Japanese Temari”.  In the first few pages, I found one answer to my problem.  I am left-handed, and it appears we have our own style to work stitches......yes, backward to everyone. With this book in hand complete with directions and diagrams, I started to work on my seventh piece of artwork.  This one is titled TWIN DARTS.  Looking clos